- Use technology to present a pitch to a panel of experts on a space mission of their own design;
- Work in teams or individually to develop a written proposal on a space mission of their choosing;
- Show an understanding of how stars form and make links between a star’s properties and the chance for life to exist around the star;
- Demonstrate an understanding of an exoplanet and communicate this understanding to a wider audience in a novel format;
- Explore the difficulties of communicating with intelligent life by developing their own strategy to communicate with the class through pictionary;
- Consider the difficulties associated with space travel and develop schematics for their own craft used in their mission proposal.
- Stellar evolution assignment;
- Exoplanet poster;
- Communicating with aliens drawing;
- Mission proposal;
- Elevator pitch
The Nature and Beauty of Mathematics
In this course, students will explore the world of fractals, multiple dimensions, irrational numbers and their relationship with the natural world, the mathematics of paper folding and topology, the nature of mathematics itself, as well as the complexities of infinity.
Brainstorm: Big Ideas in Neuroscience
Brainstorm: Big Ideas in Neuroscience will tackle what we already know about the brain and how cutting edge technologies are changing this, using a mix of videos, discussion, practical activities, guest speakers, group and individual work.
Bioinformatics explores how we use technology to understand DNA and genetic codes. Students will examine the structure and function of the cell, DNA and proteins, the development and uses of genetic technology.
Learn about the way Earth Science affects our everyday lives, including exploring concepts connected to meteorology, hydrology, seismology and geology, and their application to real-world data, problems and predictions.
Nanotechnology is the study of the world at a scale that is larger than the atom but smaller than a bacteria. In this course, students will engage in a range of activities to gain an understanding of the nano-scale and establish the difference between bulk properties and nano scale properties.